Schrötter with top 5 start to Sachsenring weekend
The first training sessions for the Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland have been completed and local hero Marcel Schrötter finished the Friday at the Sachsenring in fifth place overall. After a positive working day, teammate Tom Lüthi followed in eleventh position.
The home GP weekend started in the best sunny weather with a promising result for the German fans. After Marcel Schrötter took second place in the first free practice seven thousandths behind his compatriot Jonas Folger, he was able to round off the top 5 at the end of the day thanks to his time of 1'24.361.
Shortly before that, the 26-year-old saved an impressive front wheel slide, but finally crashed into turn three. Unimpressed, Marcel Schrötter pushed again in the afternoon and worked on his consistency for the race with used tyres.
Tom Lüthi, who is cheered by the fans at Sachsenring as the leader of the Moto2 World Championship, also focused on the race distance on Friday. He and his crew already made progress with the setup, so that the Swiss was able to ride consistently fast lap times. It wasn't the one fast lap that was important today, but the pace over many kilometres. In addition to dozens of 1:24 laps, he finished eleventh in the combined standings with a 1'24.527.
After a satisfactory opening day, the Dynavolt Intact GP riders want to continue their good work on qualifying day tomorrow.
1. Jonas FOLGER / GER / KALEX - 1'24.354
2. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'24.361 (+0.007)
3. Iker LECUONA / SPA / KTM - 1'24.641 (+0.287)
7. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'24.784 (+0.430)
1. Brad BINDER / RSA / KTM - 1'23.948
2. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'24.328 (+0.380)
3. Iker LECUONA / SPA / KTM - 1'24.328 (+0.380)
8. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'24.499 (+0.551)
10. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'24.527 (+0.579)